Drifter has now seen the physio and the saddle fitter since we last “spoke” here. He is sore in the withers.
It probably was the saddle fit that caused the problem. Although I used a pro-lite and a fat saddle pad to make up for the size difference caused by the diarroeah it seems that the saddle must have been rocking forwards. Everyone thought he’d be OK in that set up, but it was clearly not OK.
It’s unfortunate that it took me several more rides to understand him than it usually would have done – I was having some emotional stuff going on with family, and also to a certain extent at work and I knew I was bringing baggage to our rides. You only get out of a ride what you put in, so I saw his unwillingness to work and put it down to my bad riding and emotional unavailability. Also, whenever we’ve had a saddle problem in the past, it’s been a too-small saddle, not a too-large one. I thought that I knew his saddle-related tells, but I failed to realise that they’d be different, so I was looking for the wrong signs.
When the saddle fitter came I asked her to bring my old Ideal saddle, which she’s had listed for second hand sale without success since I got the Bates. I thought that the narrower Ideal saddle I bought to fit the skinny rail of a horse I bought originally from the dealer, might be a good fit for the same horse now he was skinny again. It was too big. He’s even thinner now than he was then – it just doesn’t show as badly because he has more muscle in his neck.
The Bates came into it’s own again and (£50 of inserts and new gullet + the time of an experienced saddle fitter later), the same saddle looks and handles completely differently. Testing it out, I was suddenly in a balanced position, with stability in all directions. We made a few tweaks and retested, but I’m delighted with it. It’s unfortunate that we’ll have to do it all again in a few months as he puts on weight, but how much better than having to buy a whole new saddle, and then know it won’t fit again soon.
As his spine is pretty prominent (although better covered than it was a few weeks ago) the saddle fitter also suggested a sheepskin half-pad, particularly for longer rides. Before I could buy one, a friend on the yard offered a selection of her unused ones, and sold me a high quality one for a very low quality price, which was lovely of her. I offered her more but she wouldn’t accept it.
Unfortunately all this doesn’t make the soreness go away, so we just need to give that one time. My plan is to give him a few days off riding, with turnout and/or hand-walking, then get on for a test ride. If he still seems sore, then another few days off.
It’s a real shame we’re still not clicker training but I’m only very cautiously introducing treats again. His digestion seems to be handling everything I give him fine now, but I don’t want to give him multiple treats in one session yet, which kind of rules out clicker training. It was very exciting the other day when I declared he’s officially allowed carrots again – in moderation of course 😉